As soon as you have received your letter of acceptance, you can prepare your departure. Most importantly, you need to take care of the following:
- Do you need a visa for Germany?
- Is your health insurance sufficient for your stay in Germany?
- Do you have all important (legal) documents that are needed for your stay in Mainz?
Checklist of important documents
Do not forget any of the following documents. Therefore, make absolutely sure that you really have all the documents listed below with you when you leave for Mainz:
- Your original Letter of acceptance to JGU
- Your passport or personal ID
- A valid visa - if you need one and do not have it when coming to Germany, you will not enrol at JGU or apply for a residence permit
- For citizens of EU countries EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) or matchable confirmation of health insurance
- Proof of Financial resources (NOT for ERASMUS)
- Immediately available money: traveller's cheques, credit cards, cash
- A confirmation of a room reservation (hotel, youth hostel, students’ dormitory, or a lease from a private landlord)
- About six new passport photos - you will be required to provide them for different purposes, for example at the enrolment.
- Your home university’s student ID and, if possible, an International Student Identity Card (ISIC)