Help for Ukraine

Copyright Yuriy Boyko / Shutterstock


JGU wants to help its students, researchers and staff who are affected by the emergency situation in Ukraine.

This website compiles information and help offers for people from Ukraine who are in need of help, and for people who would like to help. The website is updated regularly.

This page serves the purpose of providing information. The JGU is not responsible for the content of the particular offers of help. Here you can find the statement of our university on the emergency situation in Ukraine.

If you are affected by the war and need help or, as a JGU member, would like to help, please send an email to


Financial support for refugee students from Ukraine: here.

Contact: AStA Universität Mainz


General information offers:

Help for people in war-related emergencies:


Mental Health Services for Students supports JGU students who are affected by the war in Ukraine with a specific group counseling offer as well as extra office hours for individual counseling. Please read this information to find strategies for dealing with the emotional stress of the war. Mental Health Services for Students works closely with the University Medical Center’s Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy.

  • JGU´s Family Services Center

The Family Service Center supports refugees as well as JGU employees and family members in many matters (e.g. childcare).

Phone: 06161/39-24027

  • Studierendenwerk Mainz

All Ukrainian students enrolled at a university in Mainz or Bingen can contact the Studierendenwerk Mainz if they need support. Here, various aids (e.g. short-term financial support) are available for students who find themselves in an acute emergency

Phone: 06131/39-24732

  • Studierendenwerk Vorderpfalz

All Ukrainian students in Germersheim can contact the Studierendenwerk Vorderpfalz if they need support.
Phone: 06341-9179-180 / -181

  • Assistance with translations and language courses

If you need help with translations or language courses, feel free to contact us.

  • Help with administrative matters

A group of JGU employees offers help with administrative tasks. If you are interested in this service, please contact

The Refugee Law Clinic Mainz offers free legal advice for refugees in the fields of asylum and residence law as well as civil law issues.

  • Institute of Art History and Musicology: scholars at risk-Initiative

The Institute of Art History is prepared to host scholars at risk as academic guests. Both researchers and students from Ukraine in the field of art history can contact us.
Contact More Information about Funding and support.

The Kunsthochschule Mainz would like to offer art students from Ukraine, e.g. from the 'National Academy of Visual Arts and Architecture of Ukraine', who have fled the war in their home country an unbureaucratic admission as guest students at the Kunsthochschule Mainz. Please send inquiries to

Information on the entry of refugees from Ukraine

Pme Familienservice Rhein-Main supports families of our corporate clients wanting to provide shelter to refugees from Ukraine. As well as refugees looking for short-term housing in Germany. Please use this form to send a housing request.

JGU is not responsible for the content of the following scholarships. For detailed information, please consult the respective funders and/ or institutes.

The Scholarship Foundation Rhineland-Palatinate and the JGU Student Body are providing funds to support students affected by the war in Ukraine with scholarships as a one-time payment. Applications can only be approved if the applying student can prove that they are in a war-related financial emergency.

The DFG is expanding its support for academics who have fled their home countries. The Walter Benjamin Programme will now also be open to refugee researchers at any stage of their career (complete doctorate required).

The research training group 2516 invites applications for scholarships for Ukrainian doctoral students working on a doctoral project in the field of soft matter who had to leave their country. A master’s degree in physics or chemistry is required. The fellowship is initially limited to six months, an extension is possible. In order to apply or to get more information, please contact

The Institute of Developmental Biology and Neurobiology currently invites applications for PhD and postdoc positions. More information can be found here.

The Cluster of Excellence PRISMA+ announces scholarships for students at Ukrainian institutes who have already started a PhD in the field of nuclear, hadron or particle physics and had to leave their country. The prerequisite is a master's degree in physics. The fellowship is initially limited to a maximum of 12 months, but can be extended. To apply or for more information, please contact

  • TRR 146: Research opportunity for escaped Ukrainian scientists and scholars

The Collaborative Research Center Transregio 146 "Multiscale Simulation Methods for Soft Matter Systems" in Mainz and Darmstadt offers research opportunities to Ukrainian scientists who have fled Ukraine. If you are e.g. a physicist*, chemist*, mathematician*, computer scientist* or engineer* and your research interests fall within the scope of TRR146, please contact us and we will work something out. Please contact

The Collaborative Research Center on "Targeting convergent mechanisms of inefficient immunity in tumors and chronic infections" is primarily seeking graduates in biology, chemistry or biochemistry, but also bioinformaticians. Please contact

The Collaborative Research Center 1292 enables refugeed young scientists to enrich our projects as PhD students. Especially biologists, biochemists, chemists, but also bioinformaticians or similar graduates are sought in individual projects of the consortium. For medical students who want to write a scientific PhD thesis, the CRC offers six-month research fellowships. Please contact Doreen Nothmann if you are interested.

If you want to help:

If you are a JGU member and would like to help, you can find different options here. We are happy to accept and publish further offers to help.

  • Volunteer at the Consulate General of Ukraine in Frankfurt am Main

The Consulate General of Ukraine in Frankfurt am Main is looking for Ukrainian-speaking volunteers to help refugees from Ukraine (especially in the field of translation). Please use this form to apply.

  • Ukrainian-speaking volunteers needed

JGU is looking for people with Ukrainian language skills who would like to help flexibly in various areas of tasks, e.g. translating the website, labeling aid deliveries, etc. If you would like to help, please contact:

Please contact us if you would like to offer accommodation to Ukrainian refugees.

If you are looking for help or would like to help, please send an email to