Welcome to Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU)
- Are you considering studying at JGU for one or two semesters as a non-degree seeking exchange student?
- Have you already been nominated through an exchange program and are planning your study abroad at JGU in detail now?
- Have you just arrived at JGU for your study abroad?
- Are you already at the end of your study abroad and would like to know whether you have completed everything necessary at JGU?
If you answered “Yes” to any of these, then you are at the right place!
(If you would like to study for more than 2 semesters at JGU or are interested in seeking a degree at JGU, you can find all the necessary information at the following link: “Studying for a degree at JGU”.)
Advice and Information
The Gutenberg International School Services (GIS Services) are your main contact for your study abroad at JGU (Mainz campus). We attend to all non-degree-seeking students who would like to study at JGU. You can study at JGU via the ERASMUS+ program, through a partner institution or with a scholarship from a German or international organization (e.g. DAAD, Fulbright). It is also possible to organize a study abroad yourself as a free mover.
If you would like to apply for an exchange in the subject Translation / Interpretation, please directly contact the Faculty 06: Translation, Linguistics and Cultural Studies (FTSK) in Germersheim.
You surely have many questions concerning
- Exchange Student Application
- Health Insurance and Visa
- Language Requirements (in German)
- Course selection and course registration
- Orientation on campus
- Study begin in Mainz
- Completion of your study abroad (Transcript)
- And much more!
That’s normal. You are not alone – exchange students coming to Mainz from all over the world share this experience. Luckily, we have the answers to your questions. And if it turns out we do not know the answer, we can at least tell you who to ask.
Just come to our office hours, write us an e-mail, or call us! We are here for you and enjoy shaping your study abroad experience with you.
Offers for Exchange Students
An online tutorial will guide you through your study abroad at JGU. You will receive the login credentials as soon as you have been officially nominated by your home institution.
We will try to make your arrival in Mainz and on the campus as smooth as possible with our InfoDays. These always take place in the first week of October (winter semester) and the first week of April (summer semester).
Through the Gutenberg International School (GIS), the JGU provides a broad range of course offerings for exchange students in both German and English.
And, since “studying abroad” is more than just the studying, you will, of course, also find more information about additional cultural events, the buddy program and the “Foreigners become Friends” program and the Erasmusteam Mainz.