Visa application

The visa application must be submitted to the local consulate of the Federal Republic of Germany before entering Germany.It may take several months to process such an application if the applicant is planning to stay in Germany for a longer period or to take up employment there. The prior authorization of the relevant Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) in Germany is also required.

Researchers from non-EU countries who intend to stay in Germany for more than three month are able to obtain a residence permit of gainful employment pursuant to § 18 AufenthG (German Residence Act) in conjunction with § 5 Beschaeftigungsverordnung (German Employment Act).

Since February 22nd, 2010, researchers from non-EU countries at Johannes Gutenberg University who have a valid hosting agreement for the implementation a reseach project may apply for a residence permit pursuant to § 20 AufenthG.

Documentation required

Detailed information on the visa application procedure and the documentation required can be obtained from the German consular representation in your home country.